Nikon MX or D3x announcement 22.oct.

Started Oct 13, 2008 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659
Re: Bob

Luke Kaven wrote:

• The $7-8k price bracket at the high end has been vacated.

Actually, the price bracket from US$5000 to US$15,000 is awful sparse. There's certainly room for products almost anywhere in that range. But I'd put a Nikon MF at US$9999 myself.

MF digital bodies could be made smaller and for less than
the competition. Witness the Leica S2 as a proof of concept.

Yes, digital has freed up some design space. That would be especially true if you didn't go optical viewfinder.

• The electricals and computational pipeline are well rehearsed at

this point, and it would not be much of an effort to make the camera
body.

Yep.

• Nikon already makes several lens designs that are suitable for

medium format. For example, the PC-E lenses, in fixed housings,
could be adapted for use with a new body. You don't need many lenses
in MF to have a system. 4-5 is a good start.

This is the part that would be the biggest gamble on Nikon's part. Lens production is already constrained by glass availability, and they've got lots of lens gaps that the mainstream are clamoring for. To produce a new mount's worth of lenses while not feeding the F Mount crowd would produce a major uproar. This is another reason why I say that an MF design SHOULD NOT be introduced without filling the high rez DSLR gap (and another round of lens updates/intros). You can't afford to send a mixed signal in a competitive market, let alone a down market.

• A good entry would decisively capture this market.

Here I disagree. Leica is headed there. Canon is likely headed there. Heck, even Pentax is still playing their on-again-off-again-on-again game in MF. There will be competition. For Nikon, this would be a play against Sony. For Canon, it would be a play against Hasselblad.

And the market has a future much more open ended than the 35mm market.

No. Size Matters. Both ways. I've watched a lot of serious shooters tinker with MF and roll back down to the smaller format. We're already at a resolution level (well Canon and Sony are) that is good enough for any size 99% of photographers ever print. Thus, price and size start coming back into play. If you can do X for less money and carry it more easily, then you pull people back. The only question is what the over/under on X is. Today it feels awful much like a 24mp DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (18 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
kul
Mel
kul
exe
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
exe
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow