D90 review - max DR @ ISO400
there are curves that make the Jpeg from a RAW file, which happens inside the camera. There is nothing wrong with D90, but it has dreadful curves in camera. Similar to the D700. As seen later in the review the RAW file has at least 1 or 1+1/2 stop Highlight headroom. With shooting RAW or applying a custom curve in the camera the DR of the D700 went up by 1 stop. The same can be done in D90. Also in the D80 the DR with Custom curves improved by 1/3 shadow and 1+1/4 stop highlight. So that has nothing to do with the camera.
It can be fixed by custom curves.
It can be fixed by firmware, but Nikon cannot be bothered.
It can be fixed with RAW and Highlight protection set to at least 40.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sadiqur_Rahman by Sadiqur Rahman|
from Ain't Going to Work on Maggie's Farm no More
|Airborne by John Beavin|
from - How to respect the Flag and Anthem - (Portrait in Full Colours + A Border)