LX-3 JPEG corrections in camera and CA correction in SilkyPix

Started Oct 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ian Morison Regular Member • Posts: 131
LX-3 JPEG corrections in camera and CA correction in SilkyPix

Just two comments that still seem to cause some confusion in the threads.

1) The LX-3 JPEGS do not seem to have been corrected for lens distortion. I have overlain JPEG and Raw conversion images at the shortest focal length (where there is barrel distortion) and they fit like a glove.

(Lens distortion filters in Photoshop can fix this easily.)

2) The LX3 JPEGs have make a very good job of correctiong for chromatic abberation.

As detailed lens tests using RAW data show - and my own pictures endorse - there is some chromatic abberation at the wide angle end of the zoom but almost none at the longest focal length. (Put "DIWA Labs" into Google)

Silkypix can correct for Chromatic abberation, but unless it can read the image data and appropriately set (dependent on focal length) the parameters for chromatic abberation correction, I cannot see how one could batch process a set of LX-3 Raw images - which is a real pity. I do not think that SilkyPix can do this.

Am I wrong about SilkyPix not being able to read the image data?

My faculties cannot be very good as I find it very hard to detect real differences between the RAW and JPEG images.

Having got one of the very first LX-3 cameras in the UK, I have to say that I am still very pleased with it.

Incidently I have found battery equivalents for £4.99 on the WEB!

(Put CGA-S005E battery or "Batteryonline" into Google)

Have fun imaging!

Cheers,

Ian Morison

-- hide signature --

Ian Morison

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow