Started Oct 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xcentricphoto Regular Member • Posts: 114
will there be a widening of marketing strategy from Canon

It seems to me that Canon have defined the digital camera market as
(i) landscape and studio, and
(ii) sports

whereas Nikon have assumed that most purchasers tend to shoot most things and are either
(i) pro, or
(ii) amateur/semi-pro

Now, whilst I have Canon kit and like it, this split is depressing for me, cos I shoot a mixture of stuff. I have no desire to sell some kit and take a hit, financially, and used to subscribe to the view that manufacturers leapfrogged each other - sometimes, you'd be ahead, and sometimes you'd not, but all in all you'd be up there.

But I'm less sure now. I have the 5DmkII on pre-order from Amazon in the UK, but am getting close to cancelling (anyone want my slot? I was in there early) since it doesn't do what I wanted - I wanted a general purpose camera that was FF and better than my 40D. Call it what you will - a different 5DmkII, a 3D, whatever - but 16MP, sealed and better AF would have done it for me.

What are the views of the DP community on the chance of Canon realising this alternative view of the market, and releasing a camera for us? Somehow, it doesn't seem too much to ask.....

-- hide signature --

40D + various L's

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow