15mp = empty magnification

Started Oct 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
Decoboy Regular Member • Posts: 172
Agree with both but...

Both have valid points:

IR certainly have very detailed info on their testing methods etc - the use of printed posters for some is a novel approach. My jury's still out on that one - but they are very upfront and honest about it. And in most areas they try very hard to supply the same test conditions. Let me quote them from their own methods page:

"If we can't control the test conditions from one camera to another, any results we obtained will be meaningless and less than worthless: Images shot under different conditions could actually mislead people as to the cameras' actual performance relative to one another."

So can someone tell me why they used a 100mm 2.8 lens for their 40D Test, and a 50mm 2.5 with a 1.4 converter = 70mm (!!!!!) for the 50D? And BTW they allowed the shutter speeds to vary. The simple fact is that the amount of photons/light hitting the 50D was less. OK you might need different lens' for Nikon/Canon etc, but any other reviewers I see use the closest match - they certainly don't mix lens' on the same body types.

Also how come there is no mention - zip - in their comprehensive methods page about using the same lens/shutter/aperture, which is after all the deciding factor on how much light is presented to the sensor - unbelievable - this should have been top of the list.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Decoboy's gear list:Decoboy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gml
(unknown member)
DRG
thw
thw
gml
thw
gml
gml
gml
thw
DRG
thw
thw
thw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow