Compare Leica Dlux 4, Canon G10, Panasonic DMC Lx3, Nikon P6000

Started Sep 27, 2008 | Discussions thread
VladimirV Senior Member • Posts: 2,659
Re: Compare Leica Dlux 4, Canon G10, Panasonic DMC Lx3, Nikon P6000

I have looked at all the cameras at Photokina and this is my take on them.

The Leica D-Lux 4 is simply an overpriced Panasonic LX3 and for me not worth the money.

The Canon G10 is a brick, literally, it is very heavy and huge so won't fit in a pocket but it really solid and the controls are some of the best. The OVF is useless and a waste of space but purists will like it.

The Panasonic LX3 is one of the nicest cameras around, the lens is fast, the camera is small and well built. The controls however are not that great and I don't like the joystick but one can get used to it. Definitely the best camera out of your selection and one of the best compact cameras at the moment. Value is much better than the Leica counterpart.

The Nikon P6000 is, to put it mildly, very disappointing. The controls are the worst, the OVF is completely useless and an even bigger waste of space than on the G10. The Ethernet port again wasted, the lens is not really fast or outstanding and the focus is rather slow. I personally would not bother with it. And yes, did I mention that the camera locks up for 6sec. while it writes a RAW file? It looks Nikon is trying to catch up the others but did not even manage to catch up on the last generation.

The Ricoh GX200 has been recommended here and it is indeed with the LX3 the best compact camera. The controls are the best you can find in any compact camera, the EVF much more usefull than the tiny OVFs and can be left at home if you need a smaller camera and the lens is the best out of these cameras.

So for me, the decision would be between the LX3, for the slightly better IQ, or the GX200 for the vastly better controls. The G10 is too big, the D-Lux4 overpriced and the P6000 nothing special at all.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
amd
amd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow