Compare Leica Dlux 4, Canon G10, Panasonic DMC Lx3, Nikon P6000

Started Sep 27, 2008 | Discussions thread
John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Which pocket ?

Pocket of a windbreaker or sportsuit vs Pocket of your jeans ?

The new Canon promises a lot, except of course for high iso performance that wouldn't seem to be possible given it's likely photosite density.

The Panasonic is a great camera, and may be Panasonics best efffort to date in it's class. Wide Fast lens etc - of course it is limited at the "long end" and it lacks some of the easy access controls available on the Canon (iso, exposure bias) which are instead accessed via menu.

What I would put out there though, is that at this point, before you jump on the digicam band wagon, perhaps you should look at the new micro 4/3 cameras such as are already announced by Panasonic (with Olympuses offerings shown in mock-up). These offer sensor sizes dramatically bigger then most digicams (except for the Sigma DP1 etc), as well as interchangable lens's.

Alternatively, the Sigma DP1 (and it's descendant) offer an even larger sensor in a very small, pocketable camera. It has it's own quirks - autofocus is a bit pokey- but the image quality is amazing. I wouldn't part with mine.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
amd
amd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow