Nikon Coolscan 4000 vs Epson V500 Photo Scanner

Started Sep 26, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoFortnoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,938
Nikon Coolscan 4000 vs Epson V500 Photo Scanner

Once in a while, us old guys get an urge to scan some of our old color slides from the 70's as a once-in-a-life project.

I have a Nikon Coolscan 4000 plugged into my computer now, collecting dust. I've scanned less than 20 slides since I've had it, and it's a very slow and tedious process.

I'm tempted to buy a new Epson V500 flatbed photo scanner and gang up my slides.

Will the new technology of the Epson now outperform the older Nikon 4000?

Will the workflow be faster?

I think my expectation for scanned slides will not be too high. I fear that quality loss going from a slide to a digital scan to try to clean up in Photoshop will be depressing and very time consuming.

Can any of you who have attempted scanning old slides guide me here?

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Stan Schutze
http://www.pbase.com/schutze/modeling

(WARNING: my modeling galleries contain tasteful nudity and lots of incredibly beautuful and charming women. Please don't go there. Your eyes might bleed and your head might explode. I like dpreview and I don't want to get in trouble for showing too much natural beauty.)

'In the real world, fluid response to a crummy picture takes precedence over polished technique that goes unnoticed' -- Click Hamilton

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow