D3/D700 vs 5D

Started Sep 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mstamper77 Regular Member • Posts: 325
D3/D700 vs 5D

I'm looking to get a full-frame/FX camera. I don't need a zillion megapixels. I'll use it only for lenses shorter than 35mm. I'll use it mostly at low iso.

Used 5D's are likely gonna get plentiful and cheap soon now, but D700's won't be cheap for quite a while I suspect.

I am mainly a nikon shooter and have not tried a D700/D3, but have recently had the opportunity to use a 5D, and absolutely loved the images. Though I'd mostly use it a low iso, I really loved the character of the grain/noise at 1600.

I know that the feature list is quite different between the two, so don't waste time reeling off lists of features.

I know that the ergonomics are different, so don't waste time going there either.

All I care about is image quality. Which one retains more detail at both low and high iso? How about dynamic range?

And don't bother to comment if you haven't actually used both of them, unless perhaps you can point me to some interesting link that may allow me to see for myself.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow