New D700, bad WB out of the box...

Started Sep 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoshuaMB Regular Member • Posts: 382
New D700, bad WB out of the box...

I FINALLLLLLLLYYYYY received my new D700 from J&R yesterday. That took way too long btw.

I pulled out the D700, put on the grip, put on the 17-35, put in a card, and took a test shot of the inside of my office past dark, with only the tungsten light available- but fairly bright, iso 640 manual at 30th at 3.2, exposure was fine but in Auto WB the scene was WAY too yellow, grossly yellow. Sometimes it takes the cam a frame to get it right, but no amount of shooting the scene yielded a better looking image. In Tungsten WB it looked as grossly yellow. Attaching the new SB900 and putting it in Flash mode also yielded a grossly un-balanced WB. The PRE setting did a very nice job of taking a reading and producing a fantastic WB as a result.

I have never seen such an off WB out of the box before. My D3 looks fine in low light, and Auto WB...

Anyone have any ideas? I do not want to send it back to J&R, I really never want to order from them again. I was able to adjust the WB fine settings, but it seems odd that out of the box the camera needs a drastic adjustment- removed all yellow and a few points of green to produce a pleasant looking Auto WB....?!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow