My *Free* D90 From Best Buy

Started Sep 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RichardR Forum Pro • Posts: 18,265
My *Free* D90 From Best Buy

At the end of July, my Nikon D70 began dying, with the dreaded ERR.... message flashing and locking up intermittently. I dug out the box with receipt and found it was still within the 4-year extended warranty I'd purchased when I bought the camera from Best Buy in 2004. I took it to Best Buy to see if they could fix it, less than a week before the warranty was due to expire. Well, they called me Monday and said the camera could not be repaired. Instead, under the warranty, they would replace it with a comparable camera. So, instead of getting my D70 with 18-70 lens back, they gave me this:

I have a D200 and wasn't looking to upgrade cameras so hadn't paid much attention to the D90 release. The feature set on this camera is awesome but the thing that impresses me most is the high ISO performance with the new CMOS sensor.

I tried it out on the usual suspects in the backyard, using my Nikon 70-200VR lens with 1.7x teleconverter, shooting through double pane sliding glass doors for these shots. Shot in JPG Fine as my Capture 4.4 won't convert the NEF's. I wasn't trying for scientific tests, just wanting to see how the higher ISO looked.

Just cropped and resized with no Post-Processing whatsoever.

This one at ISO 800; f6.3; 1/200th sec.:

At 1600 ISO; f7.1; 1/400th sec., :

3200 ISO, in better light, f8; 1/3200th sec.:

And one at 400 ISO, f8; 1/640th sec., with a little tweaking:

That warranty was the best $149 I've ever spent!

Cheers,

Dick:)

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/richardr
D200&D70&C-2100UZ&C-5050Z&C-7000Z&C-3000Z

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow