beginner settings tips for a700

Started Sep 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hugo600si Contributing Member • Posts: 825
beginner settings tips for a700

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked thousands of times, however I just upgraded from my trusty 600si to my first dslr, an A700, 2 hours before going on vacation to Lake Placid for he fall colors (it was the best way to convince my lovely wife as we will probably never do this again... (this year in any case )) and I am now struggling in my hotel room with the settings to use.

I bought a a700 with 1680z and a 8GB CF III card. Installed the V4 a few minutes ago.

My questions, what format is recommended I use? I'm looking through the forum and ended up with cRAW+jpeg, although I have no space issues (laptop) so I can also do raw+jpeg if that gives some (real life) benefit.

How should I set the NR with V4? I show my images on a TV after vacation so no real quality issues there and the good ones I work on so I am tempted to do either low or no NR.

What is the battery life? I need to use SSS as I didn't bring my tripod, probably 10% flash for the occasional portraits along the way (see how much better this camera makes you look ) AKA, do I need a spare battery

Should I stay away from creative styles? (if they only touch the JPEG's, not raw's, it could be handy to use autum leaves or vivid (I miss velvia a bit ), but I really don't want to destroy the negatives/raws)

Any general tips for starters, links to sites etc you are willing to share also much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R III Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow