What the 50D pixel density means to 1Ds users

Started Aug 28, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cesare Ferrari Regular Member • Posts: 431
What the 50D pixel density means to 1Ds users

Without any figures, let's just assume for a moment that the 50D sensor does very well but the noise starts creeping in at ISO 800 or 1600, and that fancy noise reduction algorithms are required from there on up. I don't know if this is the case, i've not used the camera, but let's just assume this for now.

Let's imagine the 50D sensor is scaled up to full frame - i'm guessing the design would move to full frame without any complications, and let's assume that the performance is the same when this has been done.

15mp on a 1.6 crop gives us a 38mp full frame sensor (assuming my maths is correct).

Now this sensor will give great resolution, but with limited high ISO performance. We know that pixel bining gives us a high ISO performance benefit (bining 4 pixels gives us half the noise of the raw pixels), and Canon already support this with their sRAW files. This is where it becomes interesting. The above sensor would give 8-9mp sRAW files which is enough resolution for most applications, and would be good for low light use, and due to the lower noise will allow us to push the ISO an extra stop.

This sounds very appealing to me, 38mp for good light, studio, strobes etc, giving best of class performance and resolution. When out and about with low light, say ISO1600 and above, drop to sRAW and get an 8-9mp camera with lower noise up to ISO3200 and maybe higher if Canon really have worked some magic.

Anyone going to guess whether this is the sort of camera we'll be carrying around in the next few years?

Cesare

Cesare Ferrari's gear list:Cesare Ferrari's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow