Why does everyone want more AF points?

Started Aug 25, 2008 | Discussions thread
wildlife1212 Senior Member • Posts: 1,109
try the D300 AF 3D tracking and dynamic area

the focus is chasing the object where-ever it goes in the viewfinder (e.g. BIF or motor sport)

no, Canon doesn't have this capability

ljfinger wrote:

Frankly, I use 1 for about 99% of my shots. For the other 1%, I
mostly use that far-right one (you know, the portrait point). I use
the others only very rarely.

9 is a nice number because you have direct access to each of them
with a single click of the joystick.

What I'd like is for all of them to be as good as the center one.

In fact, I'd like the 8 peripheral points to be the same as the
current center point, and the current center point to add reliable f8
focusing capability. This would be great for using 1.4x TCs on the
f5.6 lenses like the 100-400L and 400/5.6L.

But for what reason would you want more points? Tracking an object
works just fine with 9. In fact, it works just fine with 1 for me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gml
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow