LX3 JPEG vs RAW

Started Aug 25, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
IIIV Regular Member • Posts: 438
LX3 JPEG vs RAW

Straight to the point... If you only make 4x6 prints or don't do a lot of cropping... I think the LX3 produces pretty good JPEGs up to ISO 200 in both good and low light conditions... I however... make lots of 8x10 and larger prints and I do a lot of cropping in Photoshop... That's why when I purchase the LX3 -- I'd shoot it pretty much in RAW... I've seen tons of JPEG images and I've played around (with the help of fellow Panny members) with a number of low and high ISO RAW images taken with the LX3.

On the JPEG side -- at ISO 200 and above I've noticed that Panasonic's Venus IV engine (even with its NR set down to -2) produces lots of noise artifacts instead of workable/post-processable noise grain.

On the RAW side however -- I've noticed that images taken at ISO 80-400 don't need any NR at all -- as noise aren't that noticeable especially when you resize/downsample them or print them to 4x6 up to 8x10 prints (I printed two ISO 400 RAW images at 8x10 size using my Canon MP460 color printer)... And at RAW ISO 800 -- only a touch of NR is needed.

To compare the difference between the LX3's JPEG and RAW output... Here are 100% crops taken indoors at JPEG ISO 800 and RAW ISO 400 (courtesy of Mikee)...

RAW ISO 400 was converted (by Mikee) to JPEG using SilkyPix with NR and Sharpness turned OFF... I then applied NR on it with Noiseware Pro (using 'Weaker noise' preset)... And finally I applied sharpening in Photoshop CS2 using Lab-> Lightness-> Unsharp Mask (values: 200, 0.5, 3).

CORRECTION: I thought that the RAW image was taken at ISO 800... It was actually taken at ISO 400 sorry... I'll definitely do another comparison test when I receive my LX3.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow