Best quality/low expense lens for D700 (FX)

Started Aug 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
Two23 Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Massive failure...

One thing this now "monster" thread is pointing out is that Nikon does not yet have the lens selection that Canon does. Nikon basically has either outstanding pro glass or decent amateur lenses and not much in between! OTOH, Canon has lenses such as their 70-200mm f4 IS, 17-40m f4 IS. These would be perfect to put on something like a D700. They are pro quality, just not quite as fast. Maybe Nikon will eventually come out with something like these, but they are a smaller company and don't have as much development money to do everything at once.

As a night photographer, I too have looked closely at the D700 but realized I would have to buy two new lenses to keep the same image quality I'm currently getting with Tokina 11-16m f2.8, Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 + TC-17E. What would be the point of buying FX compatible lenses that give me LESS image quality than what I had before? I will have to have the Nikons 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200mm + TC-17E already before I buy something like a D700. I can sell the Nikon 17-55 and Tokina 11-16mm obviously, probably get around $1,300 for them. That would almost buy a 14-24mm f2.8 but I'd still have to pony up for the second lens AND the camera body. While I'm using the D80/D90 platform I am getting publishable image quality (better quality than cheap lens + D700) while saving money for FX lenses and body. In the meantime the FX bodies will continue to drop in price. Net result is I maintain top image quality while upgrading camera gear, and likely save hundreds of dollars as the camera price drops. Again, I look at photo gear as a --SYSTEM--, not just a camera. The camera is the least important part of the system generally speaking.

Kent in SD

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow