Best quality/low expense lens for D700 (FX)

Started Aug 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
Drew Loker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,400
One has to be realistic...24-120 is a great balance

I have hiked, camped, flown, driven, biked, etc. all over the place. It is true that the aches and pains go away. But you still have to be realistic...and you have to find balance.

Choosing what to pack on a 2-3 mile hike up a mountain is no short order...not for me. Especially when I usually have to make to make that decision back at home before even getting on the airplane. Then onsite, weather conditions have to be considered, and current reports of a trail, etc. 1 camera, 2 cameras, which lenses, which tripod, how much food and water, etc.

I have both a 70-300 VR and a 70-200 VR...and there are just times to take one over the other. in fact, I got a D40 and the 70-300 just for a cruise...so I would not have a D2h and a 70-200 getting off a cruise ship in Mexico (too risky). I ALMOST want to buy a 55-200 VR for a D40 just for when I want something REALLY, REALLY small.

I also had a 400/3.5 that really needed a dolly to carry that bag around...in fact I did just that a few times toting it down to a couple of rookeries. I now have a 150-500 that is definitely more portable...but it isn't going to go on a hike

I also had a 28-70/2.8 It was NOT realistic to carry around...not for me...not on an every day basis...so it only got used for events and portraits...and when FX made it too short...I sold it. The difference in sharpness of the MUCH smaller 24-85g was imperceptible. The 2.8 speed and brightness of view finder is missed...but my elbow and wrist don't miss it.

Bottom line is that there isn't a perfect lens...not for me. The 24-120 VR comes REALLY, REALLY close. The 28-105 may be a TINY bit sharper. But the difference is not likely to ever be noticed except in a side by side test. The VR works great. It focuses much faster (than the 28-105...but slower than the 24-85).

-- hide signature --

Drew
http://drewloker.com about.htm (me) (Equip list in Profile)

Drew Loker's gear list:Drew Loker's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow