LX3 RAW/JPEG vs. LX1 vs. F20 comparison

Started Aug 15, 2008 | Discussions thread
mark kay Veteran Member • Posts: 5,477
Still not resolved in my mind

One of the biggest problems with the progression of the LX series was that the original LX-1 camera was critiqued for noise at the higher iso. The second version, LX-2 improved the noise at high iso but the algorithm for noise reduction was built into the raw file. As a result, there was a great loss of detail at the higher iso images. I found this to be unacceptable in my mind. Sure if they wanted to include such NR to the generated jpg image I was fine with that. However, since there was no way to turn this off in the RAW file, the camera really turned me off. I still have a Leica DLUX-2, (same as the Panasonic LX-1) and find it to be superior to the second release. So my concern is if the noise is reduced further in the LX-3-- is it at the expense of loss of detail in the RAW file. I know the comparisons provided here are very helpful in many ways but I would love to see an iso 200 or 400 RAW image comparison (no sharpening or NR) between the LX1 and LX3.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow