OP Matthew Austin Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: D700 First impressions from a D200 shooter

Art Jacks wrote:

As a D200 owner I would be interested in your impressions of the
difference in image quality !
--
A selection of my images can be found at http://www.photo-genesis.net follow
the galleries link then select the Jacks gallery

Well quite! Trouble is it takes a good bit longer to get a feeling for the image quality differences than it does to form some first impressions. I had my first real chance to shoot with the camera today. I was trying out some new flash modifier equipment that arrived and using my pre-ai 105mm f/2.5 lens. Using the D700 to do CLS, on a tripod, using myself as a test subject so using the self timer.. performed fine, but nothing the D200 wasnt totally capable of. I did use the info display while the camera was on the tripod, as it was at head height i couldnt see the status LCD so that was helpful.

Hopefully later in the week i'll get a chance to put the D700 in some situations that tax it a little more.

Another minor annoyance that i've noticed, the D700 doesnt support mass storage mode over USB- just the crappy PTP mode.. which means installing yet more Nikon software to transfer the files. (The windows picture transfer wizard doesnt recognise NEFs as pictures, and just uselessly duplicates the jpeg files... great!)

Matthew Austin's gear list:Matthew Austin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow