Z1012 CCD quality issue or normal behavior?

Started Aug 1, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheCyberKnight Regular Member • Posts: 132
Z1012 CCD quality issue or normal behavior?

I recently changed my DX6490 for the new Z1012. Overall, I am very satisfied since the Z1012 is better in almost every way (I'll post a more complete review soon).

Upon receiving a new camera, I inspect the CCD "health" by shooting completely white shots and completely black shots. I perform these tests to identify "dead" or "stuck" pixels from the CCD.

When I bought the DX6490, black shots were perfectly black and white shots were OK (although the camera developped abnormal pixels over time - which can be expected).

Meanwhile, during my initial tests with the Z1012 camera, white shots were OK but I noticed very unusual white dots on the black shots. In fact, there is more than 100 white dots distributed on the full frame. What is even stranger is that they do not really appear on moderately bright shots and therefore, do not seem to be "stuck" pixels. Could it be "noise" from the camera trying to boost the signal on very poorly lighted shots?

I would appreciate if someone with a Z1012 can confirm this behavior. The test can be performed easily by shooting a picture with the camera face down on something very flat to completely cover the lens (disabling the flash helps getting a black shot). I did the test at 10MP with Fine compression.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow