What's your P&S camera (for street photography)?

Started Jul 21, 2008 | Discussions thread
G_Harper Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: What's your P&S camera (for street photography)?

Some of the other posters aren't getting the point it seems.

I use a now ancient Powershot S70. It uses CF memory cards and has the same battery as the Rebel series.

Noise! You bet, but I see virtually no improvement in noise for the later generation cameras so far. I really like the G9 but it's heavier than the S70 and has pretty much the same noise as far as I can tell.

S70 only goes up to ISO 400, which is fine with me since 400 ISO is already virtually useless. The 28-105 f. 2.8 (equivalent) lens is one of the best ever put into a P&S camera and it features Raw, Manual mode, and Manual override focus.

I always have it with me and it takes quite good 7MP pictures at ISO 100, decent at ISO200 and a quite lumpy-moody ones at ISO 400. Still, it beats not carrying a camera.

I feel fortunate to have one in good repair. Canon wont fix them anymore but you can find them on Ebay.

For my money, still the best overall P&S camera made to date, if you want to have manual override and RAW. If you want IS, face recognition and other nifty things, it's not for you.

Grafton

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow