D700 with custom focusing screen available from Brightscreen

Started Jul 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Amin Sabet
Amin Sabet Veteran Member • Posts: 6,762
D700 with custom focusing screen available from Brightscreen

I recently participated in a couple threads regarding the use of manual focus lenses with the D700/D3, and I was not alone in hoping for a custom focusing screen for the D700. I spoke to Rachel Katz today, who told me that Katz Eye will be looking into supporting full frame cameras from Canon and Nikon, but the short term likelihood is unclear. They ran into difficulty in trying to make a screen for the D3 in that their starting materials are not appropriate for that model. If the D700 screen is the same as the D3, then she felt that they would not be able to support it in the near future. That prompted me to do some more digging, and I found that Brightscreen ( http://www.brightscreen.com ) is not only going to support the D700 but is accepting pre-orders for the D700 with custom screen installation for $2999 plus shipping. Seems like a great price to me considering that the screens alone go for $200. I just placed my order for the D700 with the #5 screen (6mm split image, 13mm microprism collar) installed.

Some of the details others may be interested in:

• They charge you when you place the order, not when the order ships.

• They do not supply you with the original focusing screen. It is an exchange.

• Brightscreen is an authorized Nikon dealer, so the warranty is intact.

• They estimated that after they receive the D700 shipment, it will take 2-5 days to make and install the focusing screen prior to shipping it.

I also contacted Haoda Fu, and they informed me that they too plan to support the D700 with custom focusing screens.

Hope this information was helpful to someone.

Regards,
Amin Sabet

-- hide signature --
 Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M1 II +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow