The E-520, My Field Test Report (Lots of Pics) 1/3

Started Jun 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
randyrivera Forum Member • Posts: 51
The E-520, My Field Test Report (Lots of Pics) 1/3

I finally got my E-510 last June 14, 2008. I was the first to get the E-520 here in Manila. The day after the shipment arrived, I was already there outside the warehouse/stockroom of Olympus Philippines right before they opened. Then 10 minutes past 9AM, i got my E-520.

Anyway, took the 520 for a spin, and here are a few shots i did the past few days. This is not a review, just to show sample pics taken. Let's see how the 'new' 11.8 mp (10.0mp effective) sensor performs.

If you have questions, fire away.

Note:

All pics were resized to a low 75% quality, 72dpi, as intended for web purposes only. No Post Processing at all (so that you can see the actual images straight from the camera), all were just resized, and some cropped under Adobe Lightroom (Lazy). If you want to see the true colors, please use Internet Explorer or Safari. Mozilla Firefox doesn't render the colors well.

All pics were taken using JPG / Super Fine so that we can really see how well the new engine (TruePic III, same as E-3) will perform.

All images were taken using these settings:

Lenses used: 12-60 / 50-200
White Balance: All Auto
Mode: A (Aperture Priority)
Metering: ESP + AF
Picture Mode: Vivid / +1 Sharpness
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I tested thoroughly was if the dynamic range has improved. Well, it did (For reference, you can check DIWA test results). My kids somehow are under the shadow but still the details are still there. No FP flash of course was used on this one for the sake of testing, if it wasn't, then i will definitely use flash on this one.

-- hide signature --

Again another shot where using a flash is more beneficial, I didn't for the sake of testing. This is another test using the 'Shadow Adjustment Feature' of the E-520. My metering was ASP + AF point. Their faces were all behind the sun. The faces were really dark, then i used the built-in editing feature of the E-520 where it post processes images to bring out the details in the shadows. Don't be confused, there's a 'Shadow Adjustment feature while taking a pic (LIVE View mode only), then there's another one under In-cam Editing.

I love the colors.

Shot taken using an ND-8 filter. See how the detail of the clouds were captured, but still the subject (building) is still exposed well. The ND-8 should have no effect on the color, but I dont' know why, somehow it gave a warm cast. Since this is a test shot, White balance was set to AUTO.

Here's a 60 second exposure shot. Just trying if sensor noise will be visible. There were a few, even if the noise reduction was set to Auto already. Overall, not bad at all.

FP TTL Flash was used on this one.

Smile! (Unfortunately, Face Detection feature did not work on this one, hahaha)

Fuschia hair was captured perfectly.

Overcast skies. I quite don't like how the colors were captured, but what do you expect on lighting conditions like this.

Bright background, dark subject. The source of light was also at the back of the subject, but still, you got the details. I am loving every bit of this Shadow Enhancement feature of the cam. Thanks also to TruePic III (same as E-3), processing is so much faster now.

Lamb Chops. Flash is on-cam, with Demb Diffuser on an FL-50.

No flash. I love this shot.

A very tricky shot. As you can see, the subject is dim. But look at the skies, you can still see the details of the overcast clouds. Dynamic range has really improved. I would rather have a shot like this, than having a properly exposed subject then washed out skies. It's because i can just easily mask the photo in Photoshop, then adjust the levels of the building, and keep the skies as is.

ISO 800. Now that is clean! NR isn't that aggressive now on the E-520. Setting was on Standard, not Low (as i used to set on my E-510), but still the resolution is very good. Shot handheld. Of course at 1/20, this shot wouldn't be as sharp if not without the effectiveness of the in-body I.S. (Effective up to 4 stops).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow