Canon's price dilemma with the 1000D...and a prediction or two!

Started Jun 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP Stephen Gillette Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Canon's price dilemma, 1000D...and the economy

CNY_AP, you apparently have a better read on the economy than many other experts I see daily in the finance pages!

Seriously, you might be correct if you are suggesting that Canon is not delaying U.S. price information to allow for more time to assess the economic environment and thus "get the price right".

However, Sony floated a brief $100 price reduction on its DSLR's just last month. Then reset the price up. Now...the prices have come back down, permanently. Was that all planned as a strategy six months ago? Maybe. Or perhaps sales numbers in the weeks since the "temporary" sale ended told Sony, in real time, that they needed the lower prices to compete...

No, the world is not ending, but in my small part of it, Southern California, two months has seen a huge change in real estate, gas prices, jobs, consumer confidence, etc. I would advise Canon to leave open the possibility of a $499 MSRP for the 1000D if things get any more dicey in the economy by fall...

Stephen Gillette's gear list:Stephen Gillette's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow