Need advice for first wedding shoot

Started Jun 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
newpentaxfan Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Need advice for first wedding shoot

I have two friends getting married on June 21. They don't have a lot of money, so they've asked their friends and their family to pitch in with things like food preparation and - you guessed it - photography.

They've asked five or six of their friends who are hobbyist photographers to bring their cameras and take some pictures. I'm one of those folks. I'm happy to do it because 1) they're close friends and I'd love to contribute to their wedding, 2) I have no professional aspirations as a wedding photographer, so I'm not concerned about setting a precedent of working for free, 3) they know I'm not a wedding photographer and can't guarantee good results and they're completely comfortable with that.

I currently have a 5D with a 35/2 and 100/2 and a Tamron 28-75. I also have a 580 EX II flash. I've only got one 4 GB CF card right now, but have been planning to buy another and this might be the motivation. I have only one battery.

On to my questions:

1) What lens(es) should I bring? I'd like to keep things relatively light, so the "single lens" option is appealing. I realize that will limit me, but as this isn't a professional job I'm not worried about that.

2) Will I need an extra battery?

3) JPEG or RAW? For my personal work I always shoot RAW, but I've heard many wedding photographers prefer JPEG. If I shoot JPEG I might be able to get away with only one 4GB CF card, since it holds 800 JPEGs on the 5D.

4) Should I bother with a flash? The wedding is outdoors, and there might be bright sun, so in that situation I could use the flash as my primary light and the sun for fill.

Any other general tips you can offer would be appreciated. Obviously I'm not going to figure out wedding photography in a few days, but I'm sure there are some basic, obvious things to keep in mind that I haven't even considered.

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow