Pentax DA 17-70 'review' in Chasseur d'Images!

Started Jun 2, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bjmano Regular Member • Posts: 288
Pentax DA 17-70 'review' in Chasseur d'Images!

I don't think this has been posted yet, at least it isn't on the first 2 pages of the search results for "da 17-70 review", so here goes: Chasseur d'Images, a French photography magazine, probably the biggest, reviewed the Pentax lens. However, this IS NOT an in depth review. Also, they don't say they tested a PRODUCTION version of the lens; I'm inclined to think they used a pre-production model since the 'review' was really just a preview. I won't scan it, but I'll give you a quick translation, if you want the full thing, buy it If you want clearification, just ask

Vigneting: at wide/tele you have to stop down (2 stops);

CA (red/blue): weakest point of the lens, CA's appear on boarders of the image for the first half of the zoom range;

Distortion: high at 18mm, 'not field relevant' (as photozone would put it ) starting from 21mm;

Sharpness: exceptional until 50mm more or less, you need to stop down as you zoom out (2 stops @ 70mm);

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars (very good). Most of the primes got 5 stars (200, 300, 35, 40, 43, 50, 70, 85, 135, ...). Go Pentax
Goodies: SDM, simplified version (sadly) and weathersealed!

I think Pentax are now going to use SDM and weather seals in all lenses, makes sense since it was done with the K200d. Sadly, this will be the end for all those who loved to complain about the high price of weather seals and SDM in the DA* lens line...Again, nothing lead me to believe they tested a PREDUCTION model. They gave all the specs except for the price. I think the pricing will be the key to its success. I won't be buying the lens, but it looks like a solid lens. I hope this helps some and sorry if it has already been posted.

-- hide signature --

benjamin - bjmano

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow