Thom article and the 200-400mm

Started May 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
TangoWay
TangoWay Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Thom article and the 200-400mm

I know what I was asking and I know why I ask it. I love Thom Hogan to death and I have a lot of respect for most of the things he writes about, but Thom is a writer. I am a photographer and don't care much about anything other than what the photograph looks like. There are many good photographers on this forum producing great looking photographs with the 200-400mm and if Thom can show us something better with one of his primes, he has won the argument. Otherwise he has only given a written opinion. (Free, just like everyone else that posts to this forum.) If you want to accept that as gospel, then please do, but we are talking about a visual medium.

I know a lot of photographers like to test lenses, and I understand why. But unless your test is extensive, under laboratory conditions, includes more that one sample of each lens, sample photographs, and data to back you up, you are only satisfying your own curiosity and you can only render an opinion. And that may be interesting to a lot of people, but it doesn’t prove anything. On the other hand, great photographs do prove something.

TonyCT, if your experience is validated by what Thom writes, then I’m sure you feel good about it, but some of us still would like visual confirmation.

-- hide signature --

Bill Bayless

TangoWay's gear list:TangoWay's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow