One Button Burst Bracketing

Started May 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,017

For anyone doing a lot of tripod based HDR shooting and interested in true one-button single-cycle burst bracketing without having to keep both the FUNC+shutter buttons fully pressed throughout the sequence, try this nifty trick:

One time setup only: On the Interval Shooting menu, highlight NOW, then move to the right. Make sure it reads... 00:00':01" and then move to the right again and make the next screen show...001 x 1 = 0001.

In the field:

1) Put your camera in manual or aperture-priority mode to maintain a constant aperture and Choose the bracket settings you prefer, hold the BKT button and rotate dials until you get the number of frames and exposure difference dialed in as usual.

2) Compose your shot while the camera is on the tripod, making sure the camera can find focus. In the Interval menu, navigate right and pick START > ON. You are now ready to shoot - the OK button becomes your Shutter release button for that sequence. To shoot another burst, repeat this step.

Someone showed me this nifty trick a long time ago and I needed is this past weekend and it worked like a charm when I needed to burst bracket on a tripod with long exposures and didn’t want to keep my hands on the camera throughout the burst sequence nor felt like plugging up a remote and count frames in my head.

This works on other Nikon models that have an intervalometer – the menu settings may be organized slightly differently – but same process. I still wish Nikon would give is dedicated firmware (menu) control for set-and-forget HDR shooting to automate this kind of setup (a dedicated menu preset for exposure mode, focus mode, default number of bracket frames and EV steps between then and true one button auto burst and so on), but in its absence, this helps.

Enjoy,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow