Tips on shooting really wide

Started May 21, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ebsilon Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Tips on shooting really wide

Hi,

Having seen a lot of fantastic wide-angle shots on various photo related sides, I just ordered a Nikon 12-24mm to go with my D70. My hope is to learn to master wide angle shooting, but I suppose that doesn't come all by itself. I've surely also seen a lot of wide angle shots that are not very good, just showing a lot of plain ground or sky. What I will shoot is landscapes in various forms: forest scenery, creeks/rivers/water, cultivated landscapes, mountains, fjords and such things. What I realise is that a huge part of getting succesful wide angle shots is to get the eye to wander from the foreground, through the middle and to the distance, to create sence of depth. How to choose standing point and perspective to achieve this? Also, I think part of it is to understand which scenes actually benefit from a really wide angle, and which will work better at more moderate focal lengths. Anyone care to share their advice on this, or have links to good sources for learning really wide angle shooting?

regards, Eirik

n
[]O]

Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow