Thom article and the 200-400mm

Started May 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
KevinJames Contributing Member • Posts: 596
Re: Thom article and the 200-400mm

Carpus wrote:

I have this lens on order and having been eagarly waiting for it's
arrival. Why do I have an empty feeling inside now after reading
Thom's article?

Are you sitting on your wallet? That's probably it.

Who are you going to believe? Some guy with a blogsite or your own cognitive dissonance? (Just kidding.)

I think we all have some trepidation when making such a big investment. Thom is one of the most knowledgable guys in the Nikon world's host of commentators.

It all boils down to what you bought the lens for. If you plan on sitting in a bird blind with the 200-400 and a 1.4x, well, you probably will get good results, but not as good as with a 600 f/4, or even a 400 f/2.8 + 1.4x. But check the price difference.

And if you need zoom, say for sports on a large playing field, you'll feel pretty stupid when that great shot comes right at your 400mm and all you can frame is from the players ankles to his shoulders.

If I may be so bold as to put words in Mr. Hogan's mouth, I think he would agree that different shooting situations call for different lenses, and a zoom lens is sometimes what is appropriate, as compared to a 200, a 300, a 400 and a 500mm looped around your neck, each with a camera body attached, so you won't miss the shot. Keep in mind that Mr. Hogan did write: "None of these lenses are slouches. I’d be happy shooting with any of them."

I got my 200-400 last month and haven't had much time to play, but I'm happy. Keep in mind that all lenses are a compromise between size, aperture, build quality, optics and many other factors I can't begin to imagine. I'm still waiting for that 10-600mm, sub $1000, sub-three-pound, AF-S VRII, fully weatherized f/2.8 nano-coated Nikkor, but (actuarialy speaking) I won't be around for much more than 25-30 years, so I'll make do in the meantime.

(BTW, Thom, your D200 guide was the best 20 hours I ever spent!)

-- hide signature --

Kevin

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow