PLEASE do it right!!!

Started May 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Silver_Back Regular Member • Posts: 177
PLEASE do it right!!!

I shoot in-house at a publishing company. We do about sixty books a year. Ninety five percent of those are filled with images from MY camera. I want to talk to you about the remaining five percent!

It just happened again yesterday: one of the images we have to use for a calendar came from a photographer (professional) in England. It's well lit, in focus, technically and esthetically acceptable for all our purposes. However, he shot it as in in-camera JPG from a Canon 1Ds. Because of that "choice" the sharpening, color balance, and tonality are all locked into the file we received. Resizing to the 12 x 12" page, fine tuning the color & contrast to "fit" into a multi-image product, and converting to CMYK for our presses are NOT able to be done without degradation of the image, even a maximum quality JPEG that "prints" just fine for 100% of HIS purposes!!!
Now for the nit pickers who just can't accept the facts, or just HAVE to argue:

YES we have to use that image because it's part of the contract with the author, NO we don't have access to the subject matter to have it reshot by the original photographer or by me.

NO this isn't a "PhotoShop skill" issue, it's a fact of the limitations of locking the attributes of an image into JPEG or TIFF in the camera, instead of being able to manipulate the image for a specific purpose,
NO I don't care if you THINK it'll print just fine as you shoot it.

YES I'm upset because this is such an EASY thing to do for most photographers, and it has a very real effect on the quality of the final printed page!

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, whether you understand the difference or not, whether you think you're nailing perfect exposures and white balances in camera, whether you're using sharpening and tone curves in-camera that work perfectly for YOUR purposes: If the shot has even a one-on-a-million chance of being used for reproduction in print, especially by our publishing company,

DO IT RIGHT & SHOOT RAW!!!
======================

Thanks, I feel MUCH better now...

No, this isn't the image in question. It's from an camera raw file that can be repurposed to ANY use in ANY medium and deliver that absolute maximum level of quality for that given medium...
--
Silver_Back

Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Contax, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Sinar, Wista, Speedotron, Lowel, Mole-Richardson, Gitzo, Bogen, Matthews, Macintosh, Toshiba, Lacie, Epson, and LOTS of gaffer's tape

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
L L
L L
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow