Yet another AF-ON question

Started Apr 28, 2008 | Discussions thread
Richard Southworth Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Re: Yet another AF-ON question

No, not in my experience. A long as you start and stop AF-ON with the same object in the selected focus area, then AFAIK there is no difference than using single area. Make sure a4 (Lock on) is off unless you are specifically shooting moving subjects with the possibility of interfering objects; one of the worst "mistakes" Nikon has made is shipping the camera with a4 enabled, has caused a lot of grief, since it is pretty much just a delay in focusing when moving from one object to another.

I also advocate "release priority" for AF-ON in continuous mode with focusing disabled on the shutter release. In my experience, the less the af system has to "worry about" the better, just have to trust your eyes and the camera and not worry about the focus dot. And for walking around ready to shoot whatever, leave it in single area, not dynamic, to avoid the false focus problem already described.

Richard Southworth

Richard Southworth's gear list:Richard Southworth's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow