40D vs G9 smackdown

Started Apr 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 52,626
My recommendation to you is...

...get a great bag.

No kidding. My camera kit used to be "light" (Rebel film camera, 24-85, 75-300, 2xTC, film and some accessories) but it was horrible to carry around in a shoulder-bag, which itself was inside a backpack. No easy access to say the least, and not well supported.

Now I have a ThinkTank ChangeUp, carrying a 5D, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8L IS, 2 1.4x TCs, a Sigma 15mm fisheye, and a 580EX, plus some accessories. It's no problem at all, even though it weighs twice as much!

I carry it on my waist with the built-in waist straps and use the shoulder straps as well. This might seem cumbersome, but the opposite is in fact the case. With the weight distributed between my hips and both shoulders, I hardly feel it, even with it on all day long.

I'm not recommending this bag to you, I'm recommending you find something similar and appropriate to your equipment - something that gives you accessibility and the ability to distribute the weight. Your 40D kit is a feather-weight compared to mine, and should end up as no problem at all with the appropriate storage approach, of which their are many options. Perhaps one of the modular kits - one for the camera + Sigma, one for the 10-22 - would do you. Or, perhaps you'd be good with the ChangeUp. You should find what fits for you. Putting an OpTech strap on the camera sure helps as well. The point is, the method of carrying it can make a massive difference in your comfort and the usability of the system.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow