40D vs G9 smackdown

Started Apr 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matthew Porter Regular Member • Posts: 490
40D vs G9 smackdown

OK folks, it may seem like a stupid comparison. But let me explain.

I'm heading to Thailand later this year, and I'm currently torn between taking my 40D, Sigma 18-200 OS, Kenko 1.4x TC and Canon 10-22, or investing in a G9 and some of the 'trick' lens add-ons.

My dilemma is one of size and convenience over flexibility and capability. Not really fussed about IQ so much as I just want to capture some nice memories - not enter them into competitions or pixel peep.

From what I've been able to gather, the G9 is an impressive companion to a DSLR, but certainly doesn't replace it. OTOH, the thought of lugging my 40D around in Bangkok heat and humidity does little for me.

So - given that the G9 has full manual (although the variance in DOF seems pretty negligible from minimum to maximum aperture), am I better with the G9 or the 40D kit I mentioned above?

Putting it another way, if the G9's DOF control is pretty lame, then what's the point of having manual control anyway? Nice perhaps for some long shutter stuff (which I guess will be filled with noise anyhow), but other than that, I'm not sure
what the benefit would be?

Please help. It's driving me crazy!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Matthew

'True. You can shoot a Canon with a Nikon ... but it's much more fun shooting a Nikon with a Cannon.'

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RJR
EnQ
thw
thw
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow