Does anyone else find Canon's AF to be inadequate?

Started Apr 21, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
A Owens Veteran Member • Posts: 3,572
Does anyone else find Canon's AF to be inadequate?

I am not talking about the 1dIII issues here but Canon's mid-range DSLR's. I have a 20d and recently added a 5d. I have a good selection of L primes from 24 to 200 so have access to fast lenses.

However the AF on the 20d I found to be nearly useless for anything that moves and even for some things that do not. The 5d is certainly a step up but still cannot maintain focus on person walking towards the camera.

Am I expecting too much from a mid range DSLR for it to hold focus on person walking towards me? Am I using it incorrectly? (usually use AIservo for moving stuff) Will the 1 series hold focus on person walking towards me?

In the film days I used a Nikon F5 and although a lot older technology, I seem to recall it held focus a bit better than these lower spec but newer Canon models.

Don't jump down my throat for questioning Canon's efficacy in this matter. I love the image quality of the 20d and the 5d files are sublime.

Any thoughts, opinions and hints appreciated.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1JB
(unknown member)
MM1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow