Results vs. appearances

Started Apr 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
delvex New Member • Posts: 15
Results vs. appearances

I did some professional portrait work a long time ago (as an employee of another company and using their equipment), but had a long layoff from shooting professionally. I have been pursuing photography only as a hobby over the last 10 years.

However, I have recently done some "professional" work for friends and the clients of their business and have been approached recently about doing some more from friends of those clients. While there is certainly a growing possibility of some good income, I have no intention of making this a full-time profession (at least any time soon) so I am reluctant to spend any significant money right now.

My dilema is my equipment. I have been getting the recommendations based on results, but because I was working through my friend's business no clients have yet seen me "in action". I'm concerned that when people see me shooting with a D50 and relatively cheap lenses, they might feel cheated that they aren't getting a "pro". Or worse, that they may ask prior to hiring what my equipment is. (I wouldn't expect the average person to notice, but I live in an affluent area so there is a strong possibility that many of my future customers will own better equipment than me just because they can--even if they have no idea how to use it).

However, for the purpose of generating future business do I need to worry about "appearances"? Or, put another way, how many pros are using specifics about their equipment as a "sales tool" (e.g. "I use only top of the line Nikon equipment, etc...")?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow