Doesn't look good for K20D

Started Apr 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
derek324 Regular Member • Posts: 254
K20D not recommended, inconsistent hot pixels issue

"Optyczne.pl" site publishes high quality and comprehensive reviews (unfortunatelly not in English). Here is just published K20D review:
http://www.optyczne.pl/69.1-Test_aparatu-Pentax_K20D_Wst%EAp.html

K20D was strongly criticized, and not recommended and. They recommended K10D as a much better value and overall better camera. Unfortunately I could not find a decent Polish to English translating engine, and I do not have time to translate it myself, my apologies. A few negative points from the test: main issue was inconsistent quality between K20D samples, which they consider to be 'unusual development for Pentax products, and sad to see '. They tried a few different K20Ds, all had hot pixels, but was was particularly worrying was that hot pixels changed in each sessions, disappearing and appearing in different places. This appears to indicate production issues with the latest 14.6 megapixels sensor (made by Samsung). Again my apologies for not translating more. See the above URL and go to section 7 for samples of noise and hot pixels. The site also found that there are many hot pixels (more than in other equipment they tested), and that the hot pixels are permanently mapped and excluded in JPEGs during in camera processing, thus there is more and more excluded hot pixels due to their unpredictable and changing appearance. It was unclear is there a way of resetting this mapping, but this would be fixable (if Pentax decides to do so) in future firmware.

The test had many other criticisms and discovered inconsistent quality issues. The very first K20D they purchased produced loud focusing noises, exposed badly, and was assembled badly -- it was replaced by a local distributor, and many issues were not present in the replacement... but some came back in the third K20D they tested. Overall they were not impressed and awarded K20D total score of 4.3/6.

Again, none of the above are mine opinions or observations, I did not test K20D. This is just a rough translations of a few small sections. However it appears to me that we see yet another proof that current manufacturing process is simply unable to produce a quality sensor in APS-C size over 10 megapixels or so, and that much higher manufacturing quality control is needed (where is K20D assembled - in Korea or China? I do not know). The marketing needs a sticker with high number ('hey, this camera is '14' of something, the other one was only '10', I want to buy this one which says '14'!), so the technology is overstressed and we pay for it. It is not unlikely that this size of sensor will be capable of producing noise free 18 megapixels images 5 years from now, but sad thing is, it is unlikely that the marketing decision makers would allow for lower number to be set - so the camera will probably be stressed again to get '26' megapixels sticker, and the images will remain noisy

On a positive note: the above test does not comment on K200D, but as it clearly recommends K10D over K20D, what logically follows is that if tested, most likely they would find K200D to be better proposition than K20D. So, unless you must have live view, is K200D the best bargain on the market? This of course is just my deduction not based on any tests.

cheers, derek

Anastigmat wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=27527301

The thread above includes many who moved from Pentax to the Canon
40D. They like the Canon mostly because of faster AF and lower noise
at high ISO settings. Shows that not all camera buyers go by
megapixel count.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tvw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow