New to D-SLR - How Nikon D40 handles Anti shake (or VR if you call it)?

Started Apr 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
techmine
techmine Forum Member • Posts: 64
New to D-SLR - How Nikon D40 handles Anti shake (or VR if you call it)?

I am new to DSLRs. I have a Sony point and shoot camera which is a piece of junk as compared to my old Canon powershot. First of all, the reason I am planning to buy a DSLR is that I want to take lots of pics of my 18 month old son. As you all know, with kids you should have a fast camera (without shutter lag). I need one too. After a lot of research and keeping in view my budget, I decided to start with Nikon D40 with the kit lens. Long story short, I have realized that the basic short comings of D40 are:
1) No A-f motor built in and
2) No Anti-shake capabilities, out of the box.

While I can manage the first one with my kit lens and future compatible lenses, I cannot do away with the second disadvantage. Here ends my knowledge of DSLRs. So out of the box, all the photos where my son is doing some activity (like running and shaking hands), the photos are going to come out as blurred??? or with various modes like kids/sports mode I should be able to handle those movements well and get perfect results? I have seen the digitutor presentation on Nikon website but I am not sure if those tricks take into account the kit lens or more advanced lens on D40.

I want to start slow with these expensive cameras. If I ever feel a need to go more serious about photography, I will buy advance capability lenses. I want to make sure that I am not missing something very basic with D40, out of the box.

techmine's gear list:techmine's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix P300 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D40 Nikon D300S +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow