Picture Style Setting - what do you use??

Started Apr 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
filmluvr
filmluvr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Picture Style Setting - what do you use?? Snapshot-Portrait!

Brian L Scott wrote:

I was just surprise at the difference in changing the contrast made.
WOW - I have always like a little constrast but +1 was very edgy.

Generally speaking, increasing contrast causes dark tones to be pushed further toward black, and light tones to be pushed further toward wihite. Depending on the upper and lower levels of the existing data, you risk pushing information at both ends "over the edge." That's OK if you shoot RAW, because you can correct the file later, but a JPG created from this will be permanently missing whatever detail was contained near the upper and lower limits.

I think it's OK to shoot JPG, particularly if you're pressed for time and shooting lots of frames. However, it's still important to do everything possible to preserve whatever data is captured by the sensor. Even if you don't optimze every image, this allows you the best chance of saving those that weren't shot exactly the way you wanted.

Jack

filmluvr's gear list:filmluvr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow