One more go with AF-ON for sports tracking

Started Apr 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
carauction Veteran Member • Posts: 6,647
One more go with AF-ON for sports tracking

Most say that for sports tracking , AF-ON is the way to go. OK, but for the millionth time, for someone like myself who tracks perfectly well the old fashioned way by using the half shutter press to focus....WHY is the AF-ON button better?

My way: I set my focus mode to C-AF. AF area to dynamic 9 points. I am tracking a runner. I press & hold halfway down on the shutter to track and focus on the runner. I am ready to fire...BAM...I press the shutter for 7 rounds of fire.

AF-ON way: Set focus mode to C-AF. AF area to dynamic 9 points. I am tracking a runner. I press & hold the AF-ON button to track and focus on the runner. (Shutter set to release). I am ready to fire...BAM...I press the shutter with other finger while still pressing the AF-ON button.

Now, forgetting about being able to Single-AF by pressing and releasing the AF-ON button, or manually focusing, or focus & recomposing all while being in C-AF mode......what makes the AF-ON button so great for sports shooters?

Thanks

Mike

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow