Confused by D300 menu customization

Started Mar 29, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wwt New Member • Posts: 6
Confused by D300 menu customization

My apologies in advance for this newbie question: I finally made the jump from film to digital SLRs (though I've had digital P&S's for a while). As you might imagine, it's a bit bewildering to go from F100 to D300, so would appreciate your help with the various options for configuring menus/settings:

What's the point of the "menu banks" that are available for each of the main menus (shooting, custom setting, etc.) in conjunction with "my menu"? Best I can tell, if I change something through "my menu", it basically changes that setting in whatever "menu bank" I happen to be in. For example, if I've set up ISO sensitivity as a "my menu" item and make a change there, and I happen to be in shooting menu "A", then it just changes shooting menu "A".

What I was trying to do was to have easy access to a few things I think I may want to change or use, depending on conditions (auto ISO vs. not, Active D-Lighting on/off, # of AF points, etc.) If my understanding is correct, am I just better off using only one set of custom options (i.e., either my menu OR shooting menu A/B/C, but not both)?

How do folks here use these features? Thanks in advance for the help!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wwt
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow