NEC 2690WUXi - can it handle regular sRGB?

Started Oct 1, 2007 | Discussions thread
GeoffreyH Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: NEC 2690WUXi - can it handle regular sRGB?

There are so many incorrect items in this post I'm not really sure where to begin.

...Wow. my thoughts exactly (not directed at any one person).

I was using a 19 inch Sony CRT at home and 21 inch Sony at work, and wanted to upgrade to a bitter monitor and I ruminated for about a month on which monitor to buy between EIZO, NEC 24/2690, and LaCie 324 and came across this gargantuthread and I purchased the 2690 anyway.

I have to say, so-far-so-good, I would highly recommend this monitor to anyone -- I already had the i1 display 2, so I ordered just the Spectraview II software. Before the Spectraview disc arrived I calibrated it with the Gretag Macbeth software and Spectraview (after the software arrived) did have better calibration, noticable, but only marginally. BTW, I calibrate to 6500K, a gamma of 2.2 and 85-120 cd/m2.

No issues/problems with sRGB or over saturation (as I knew there wouldn't be), I should mention that I'm on a Mac platform so browsing isn't an issue either.

I shoot in aRGB (5D) and use aRGB almost exclusively in my workflow in Photoshop. Yes, I do image for web and in those instances convert to sRGB for reliable on-screen viewing.

I would never say how anyone should utilize their workflow, but I am in prepress/desktop publishing (and ran a press for 15 years) as well as photography and have been using Photoshop since version 3 (I know, I'm dating myself here) and would only on very rare occasions (web-work aside) use/work in sRGB. Some pros, the late Bruce Fraser being one, advocate using ProPhoto RGB, which is an even higher gamut than aRGB, BUT that gets into a whole 'nother thread...

http://www.photoshopuser.com/members/portfolios/view/gallery/795574

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HAE
VG
DRG
(unknown member)
7d7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow