A350 and K20D ISO 100 studio comparison

Started Mar 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Kilpatrick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,436
A350 and K20D ISO 100 studio comparison

I have resurrected a set-up I used last year, to do a quick comparison of the A350 and K20D, before I take both of them away for a week in what should be ideal sunny conditions.

The A350 shot, kit lens 18-70mm at around 55mm, f8, focus central spot (on the blue mask feathers just above the pipe); Standard JPEG, +1 saturation, -1 contrast, 0 sharpness, sRGB, Fine quality (best from camera).

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/94153201 for original full size file

K20D shot - exactly the same image parameters (sRGB Standard JPEG, best quality, +1 sat, -1 contrast, 0 sharpness, 0 hue shift); 18-55mm Mk II lens - the new one - at f8. Centre focus with great difficulty. All initial shots were focused on the pipe. Using the entire range of the lens focus adjustment failed to correct. Manual adjustment proved wildcard (totally unreliable) and eventually I had to tilt the camera up to prevent the centre spot focus - MUCH larger than the A350's - locking on the wooden pipe instead of the feathers. This means it actually now focused slightly further back, locking on to the wood of the mandolino. No way could I get the K20D to actually focus reliably on the blue feathers.

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/94153432 original full size

You will note that the Pentax standard lens is nowhere near as good as the Sony at 55mm and f8, see the corners (focus point made little difference, it was invariably poor in the corners) - rather contradicts certain opinions. Also the Pentax has given slightly less exposure, or the midtone curve for the JPEG is not as 'open'; there is a hitn less shadow detail as well. I was expecting the K20D to slaughter the A350 in this comparison. It doesn't, which gives me hope for the A350.

David

-- hide signature --

Publishing & Editing Photoworld (photoclubalpha.com), dPhotoexpert.com and Master Photo Digital - currently writing tests for f2 and the BJP

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow