Anyone else pining away for more ISO?

Started Mar 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fyngyrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Anyone else pining away for more ISO?

Of all the features on my EOS 40D that leave me feeling unrequited, the maximum (and quite noisy) ISO of 3200 leads the pack. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate that it isn't 1600, 1000, etc., but man could I use more sensitivity.

I love night shooting; I shoot stars, galaxies, comets and so on. Those things move , and short of a tracking mount, you've got about 4 seconds to take a shot, and at 3200 ISO, that means F/2 or faster. For instance, I shot this:

...and this...

...and this...

...and this...

...with my Canon f/1.2L 85mm lens; there is a lot more detail to be had of Andromeda, for instance, if I could get the exposure time down to under one second without pushing the noise through the roof and the exposure down through the floor. The comet could be more precise as well, but since it is a blur no matter how fast you shoot it, not so much of a big deal. The shot of the Pleides is actually a shot of a nebula and the purple rings are part of a cloud that more sensitivity would have picked up on. The last one is also a nebula (Orion, quite a bit brighter) and it shows more of what nebulosity can look like if it gets enough exposure.

Anyway, presently, I only have one Canon body, and what I have in mind is to stay with one until -- unless -- Canon breaks about 10,000 ISO, and then choke up for the second body. Given the rate at which ISO has been improving, my hand-waving guess is maybe 5...10 years.

Anyone have any speculation along these lines? Do you folks think I'm going to get old and die first? I'm 52...

fyngyrz's gear list:fyngyrz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DRG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow