What is a good backup utility?

Started Feb 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
Guy Scharf Contributing Member • Posts: 895
Re: Recovering from Acronis now

Vernon,

Have you tried to use (or used) it to Backup selected Folders and
Files like Ben was wanting to do.
Same question for ANYONE that uses Acronis 11.

I have tried selective file and folder backup with Acronis 10. Acronis was not reliable and would frequently fail. Their tech support seemed to give up on me and not be interested in repeated problem reports.

Acronis offers the ability to restore an image to a different location, essentially a file-by-file restore. I tried that with Acronis 11 and 10. Both failed about 1/3 of the way through a 25 GB disk, pretty much locking up the system when it failed due to resource exhaustion (I don't know what kind of resource--it wasn't memory).

I find Acronis excellent for imaging drives and restoring them and for cloning drives. You can mount an image and assign it a drive letter, allowing you complete access to everything in the backup. That works well, and I was able to copy an entire 25 GB volume from a mounted image without any problems.

For file and folder backup, I use SyncBack SE, which is excellent for that purpose.

If you have a huge volume filled with images, such as my 500 GB drive, file-by-file backup with SyncBackSE is the way to go as it copies only changed files. An Acronis image backup would reread everything on the disk and create an unweildy and huge image file.

Guy

Guy Scharf's gear list:Guy Scharf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Nikon D300
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow