Landcape lens in 17-20 range tack sharp

Started Feb 26, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gevalia Regular Member • Posts: 411
Landcape lens in 17-20 range tack sharp

Guys,

I'm looking to replace my trusty Nikon 20mm af that I use on my D80 for wide landscapes. Specifically looking for 17-20 range or thereabouts. I use filters so it needs to take them. Not concerned with its IQ on FX, I'm buying it here and now for use on DX. Coming from my 20mm, I would like to say that IQ, tack sharp, contrast, color is what I want. Budget is $1500 or so. Sunrise and sunsets are very important. Willing to listen to your responses either on zoom or prime that fits the bill. But please (please), speak from "direct" experience with the lens on DX. I'm sure you understand on that. I have looked at the 17-35 but a friend that had this lens a few years back said that he found his copy to be poor in low light. Again, I'm looking for a fairy specific range for landscapes that is also good in low light and takes filters (a MUST). Something with the IQ of my 70-200VR would be quite nice. And I honestly do not care about how good it is on FX since I will use it on DX now.

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow