What is a good backup utility?

Started Feb 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228
Recovering from Acronis now

I downloaded and installed the 15 day trial of Acronis 11 home. After three reboots, in the try and decide option, it manages to create a save zone on my external HD.

Next I tried a simple back-up, but it was garbage. First of all , it does not want to just back-up, it wants all sorts of bells and whistles. Then it creates them in a stupid format that is not human readable. But worse of all, it needs to have a back up folder at the destination. Whatever for? It should just copy the folders I wanted copied. No matter, I sent it to one of my test folders and lo and behold, gibberish.

So next I attempted to uninstall it. Took two uninstalls to get rid of the program, but it left behind its safe zone. Thats a 100GB chunk of my external that is worthless to me now.

So I am attempting to recover this using tools in the control panel. It looks like I will end up with a 100gb partition, hopefully one I can access.

Good lesson here, I don't need a system recovery program thats this unintuitive to use.

The built in Vista system recovery Will have to do. Now I Will try a simple (is there a simple) back up.

I also tried the Sync Tool, but it would not download for some reason. Probably the web site was too busy. However, that one did not appear to have the ability to schedule back-ups.

-- hide signature --
 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow