How does the D3 achieve such high ISO?

Started Feb 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
bradleyg5 Regular Member • Posts: 397
Has anybody compared downsampled images?

I was just wondering, are there any tests out there where people take images from the 1dsMIII and D3 and downsample them BOTH? like down to 6MP or 4MPish. or Even better scale them to a print size, say a 8x10 at 300dpi. That would be a proper comparison, see which one would produce lower noise in print sizes. i mean it's pretty unfair to compare a 8x10 to a 4x6 which is basically what your doing when you compare them both at 100% magnification.

Also have there been any tests that show the Dynamic range on the D3 at all ISO speeds? you normally can tell where the limits are of the sensor by looking at the dynamic range, when you move beyond the sensors limits the dynamic range gets cropped off a full stop every ISO jump.

I almost wish the D3 had been a little better, I mean it certainly seems like the best but it really isn't leaps and bounds better, maybe half to a full stop better then anything else. it being a camera that was specifically produced for low noise it really makes me think we've reached the limit in sensor sensitivity. The huge jumps of the early years of digital have spoiled all of us.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow