What is a good backup utility?

Started Feb 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
LongTimeNikonUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
EMC/Dantz Retrospec

I'm surprised but maybe not so that the Top Ten Reviews didn't include this software.

This is really a whole series of applications ranging from single user to server, with add-ons for SQL Server and Exchange (if you don't know, never mind ...)

See the Express HD version here: http://www.emcinsignia.com/products/homeandoffice/retroexpresshd/

That version is only $49.95, same as some of the other software listed in the Top Ten. It is disk to disk only. The "professional" version also does disk to CD or to tape, and can back up a few other computers on a small LAN.

What I like about Retrospect is that it maintains a log of each backup, and keeps all previous copies of a file, if I want that. That way, I can restore not just the current version of a file but a previous version, if the the current version is corrupted. (happens ...)

Check it out.

-- hide signature --

LongTimeNikonUser

LongTimeNikonUser's gear list:LongTimeNikonUser's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow