What is a good backup utility?

Started Feb 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228
Tried some things

I tried starting a back-up of a folder to DVD using Vista. First of all, you need to be in the admin account. But it wants to copy entire drives not individual files. Anyway, the interface was not friendly enough.

When I inserted the DVD into the drive, a version of Roxio appeared. Not the one I bought for my old computer, but probably close enough for me to be able to use it for burning my monthly raw image back-up. I have Roxio on my laptop and use that to transfer vacation images to my personal computer.

Next I read parts of the 125 page Acronis manual. I did not see any back-up feature here. I see some drive copy, but this program seems to be all about partitioning, and recovery. Just droning thru the first 25 pages or so and then using the index to find anything pertaining to file back-ups, I get the impression that it would require a steep learning curve it it exists at all.

I will now go to the other suggested back-ups and see what they look like.

-- hide signature --
 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow